Saturday, February 9, 2013

Gear Review: DriDucks Ultra Lite 2 Rain Suits

Gear Testing, Old Age and some High Quality H2O.
 Gear testing…silly? Probably (see pic below)  Necessary? Eehhh, depends on how adventurous you are or how much misery you can withstand when new gear fails on the trail. Typically I’m a Pac-n-go type guy, meaning I pack the night before and I go in the morning, leaving the rest to chance….the way I figure it, if I forget it, I didn’t really need it, and if it fails, it was garbage anyway so who cares!  If you’re cheering right now (to quote the late Billy Mays) “wait there’s more”! As I get older I’m leaning more toward the tendency to “be prepared”….with all that being said lets slap on a DriDucks Ultra Lite 2 Rain Suit and hang out under a stream of high quality H2o.
 Starting with the facts, this review will cover Frogg Toggs DriDucks Ultra Lite2 Rain Suit in size XL.
For size reference purposes I go about 6’ 4” and weigh in at about a cheeseburger shy of 245 large and in charge! I typically wear a 38x36 pant and an Xlt shirt. I purchased these at http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/Hiking.shtm for 19.99 and they shipped it for free. BONUS!! Not to mention I got them in less than a week BONUS! BONUS!! They are guaranteed to be 100% waterproof and are breathable.
 When I ordered these, since I would be wearing over my clothes, I seriously considered sizing up to a 2xl. After checking their sizing chart (which was very clear and helpful) I decided on a size XL. Frogg Toggs states that these things are plenty roomy and there is no need to up size…good call guys! These puppies are super light, but not quite as packable an I would prefer.
DriDucks arrived flat folded in this handy bag.
It seemed to weigh about as much as the jacket itself so I think I"ll opt out, it also appears that flat folding
may create creases that could compromise the material over time. Just my opinion and we all got em. For that reason I'll be rolling mine, and you can see how bulky they appear to be.

Here is a look at the rain pants as compared to a pair of 38x36 Carhartt carpenter jeans, I had no problem getting these on over these exact  pair of jeans, they left me with plenty of length to cover boot tops.

Here is a look at the rain jacket compaired to a xxl North Face Denali fleece jacket.


The sleeves are a touch shorter than the northface but still gave me plenty of coverage on my long orangutan arms, the wristcuffs fit tight but were not uncomfortable.


Over all these things seem to be a heck of a deal!...

Light weight: exact weight Im unsure of but 12-14 oz seems about right,  prob lighter for normal size humans.

Roomy: goes on over clothes easily and offer plenty of room to move around in

Price: great! free shipping and you can get em fast when you're in a pinch

Durability: To be determined, lets just say I wouldnt run thru a briar thicket in em, and I keep them away from my 10 month old because I'm positive she could chew a hole in them with her new found teeth.

Waterproof?...so far so good. pass the shower test with flying colors.

Sooooo...as I metioned earlier, gear testing...silly? Well ,you be the judge!







I'll do a review of this review (wha?) this spring during the monsoon season..

-saw em!!



Update: Turns Out the XL weighs in at 10.9 oz

No comments:

Post a Comment